View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

My reserve power supply got the real test today. We had a power outage lasting about 40 minutes. The rough pump transitioned to battery power with no interruption, this allowed the turbo pumps to spin down gradually ? over ten thousand dollars worth of equipment saved.

Once the power was restored the system transitioned back to utility feed and started recharging the battery. The rough pump never stopped through the ordeal.

In theory, if the outage continued, as the voltage from the battery was dropping the current would be going up, and once exceeding a certain threshold the fuse would have blown. I have not gotten to see this in action, as power got restored when the battery still had juice. I did not have to touch a single switch on the power system, everything worked automatically.

My office server computer worked for about 15 minutes, before hibernating itself to sleep. And I have a third UPS on the Internet connection equipment and WiFi. It was interesting to see, how normally overloaded WiFi band around here cleared up completely and the only hill on the WiFi analyzer was my proud WiFi network. Everybody?s around smart phones started trying to connect to my WiFi network, but they could not, as it is protected.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com