View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John
Sounds to me as though the chains are more the determining factor then the tire width. Now the real problem is in finding a narrow tire that will be tall enough to get the bottom of the Jeep up and out of harms way.
A 33" tire at 35 pounds of air with chains is taller than a 37" tire with 8 pounds of air and no chains.

Here, this might help, read what Brian, President of the Eco 4 Wheel Societyof Edmonton, said of the trip, chains and VEX and his own rig. He runs the heavily modified Rubicon with 37s.

Quote:
"The way Robert has his rig set up works very well for him and he is also an extremely talented wheeler, I tried running my tires the first day as he does (aired up with 35psi) and they do not work well as such (as commented above by Robert), I have much better traction running my tires (37" Iroks) aired down to about 10-12 psi as they are designed to work this way. I have however always been a big fan of pizza cutters and if I could find a tire which was around 36-39"s and only 10"s wide, I'd be all over them like a fat kid on smarties but as stated above, most of my wheeling is in deep mud and bottomless muskeg where floatation and clearance is king, the next set of wheeling tires I'm going to try out this summer are 36x12R16 tractor tires, I don't plan on running them on the road but can't wait to try them on the trails up here.

Once again Robert, thanx for the great hospitality and I look forward to returning the kindness...

Brian Cale

03 RUBI/37" IROKs/RockKrawler SDLA/WARN 8274-50/WARN hubs/Cobra 75/YAESU 2M ham/YUKON 4:88's/RockyMountain pinstriping...
http://www.ultimatejeep.com/Forums/v...ic/t=8304.html
robert@behold-the-rage.com
406-755-9765