View Single Post
Old 04-16-2002, 09:55 AM

What I learned this weekend.

That parts may break, fenders will bend, and anything hanging down under the Vehicle will get ground, smashed and broken. It’s the attitude of the people who make it all worthwhile. Jim B. was unflappable. He broke, bent and mangled his Jeep. He didn’t get mad, scream, yell, cuss or otherwise lose his cool. He understood that hey, it’s going to happen. He knows how to drive his Jeep, and I’d have to say that he was very brave.

The Rock God’s are very finicky and we have been blessed. Of the 34 trips that I can remember over those trails our damage has been very minimal, a cut tire, ruined shock and a bent tie rod and a few scraps and dents on the body and fenders.

I learned that when faced with rolling our Jeep, the only words to come out of my mouth were: “Honey, were just going to fall over now!” It took my heart awhile before it finally slowed down to a normal pace.

I learned that the weather in the desert can change drastically from one week to the next, last weekend the wind blew all day and it was rather chilly. This weekend the wind was replaced by a light breeze and it was very hot. We brought our heaters and thermal underwear that stayed in the truck unused. The local Circle K store also ran out of ice because the people in Yucca Valley don’t have a clue about what’s going on at the lakebed. (She told me, I don’t know what’s going on, we sold 50 bags of ice yesterday morning!).

Clean washcloths are worth their weight in gold. We always bring a hand full.

When Garry got stuck on Jack Hammer and we had to pull him backwards, I ran down with the winch cable saying: “Here I come to save the day!” If looks could make a person melt, then I would have been a puddle of water on the trail. When he got stuck again he promptly unstuck himself in a hurry so as not to suffer the embarrassment of me “saving him again”.

Friends are priceless and working together we can accomplish what seems like the impossible.