View Single Post
Old 10-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Smile Went on my first long day hike ever, lots of pics

Ok, so it wasn't a lot of miles but the longest I've been on before this was 3 miles.

This hike consisted of 4.6 miles in High Point State Park. I had never been there before and didn't realize that a monument actually marked the highest point in NJ:

We parked at the top in the lot at the Monument and took a look around. You could see into NY, PA and NJ from there. Unfortunately it was a bit hazy today (weird considering the temps and the low humidity) but you could see a lot of the area:

Off we went hiking through the woods. The trail was well marked and maintained and not too difficult, though rated moderate. We think it was because of the rocky terrain in the beginning which lead to unsteady footing and the last 1/2 mile to hike which was really steep stuff:

About a mile in, we came to an intersection with a spur that took us to a Ceder Swamp:

Because of the Ceder trees, the water was blood red at times:

After doing the loop, we rejoined the trail and came to some nice clearings where we got some good pics:

Here is a pic of the three of us, me, Dan and Penny:

About 3 miles after leaving the Ceder swamp the trail comes to an end with a steep incline back to the monument. Here I got a pic of the NJ side after some of the haze lifted:

We finally left to check out a nice overlook the told me about in NY past Port Jervis. It is a hell of a road, very curved and a very pretty views of the Delaware River:

Penny and I are the co-advisers of the Outdoor Club and wanted to hike this loop in the park to see if it would be suitable for our first day hike. We loved it and think the kids would too.

So this was my day.... how was yours? If you had a fine day that consisted of taking pics, post them.