View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

After much thinking I think I have the planned route figured out. The old saying holds true "too many places, too little time". Adding that I am also trying to anticipate the weather, makes it for a tough choice.

So, here it is:
  • Sunday: Fly in to SLC, go to Provo to check out the LJ. Spend the night in Provo.
  • Monday: Buy the LJ and then head out to Moab midday/early pm. Do a scenic trail through the Arches. Spend the night in Moab.
  • Tuesday: Hook up with Joel & Co, do a little wheeling maybe and head out toward Ouray late afternoon via La Sal/Bedrock/Norwood or UT-128/Grand Junction/Montrose. Spend the night in Ouray.
  • Wednesday: Tour the area, go to Silverton (if weather permits), head toward Frisco through Gunnison/Salida/Buena Vista/Leadville. Look for scenic spots (Black Canyon, Midland Train Tunnels, Cottonwood Pass, etc..) as time permits. Spend the night around Frisco depending on progress.
  • Thursday: Head out to Custer/Keystone via freeway or backroads depending on progress the day before. Spend the night in Custer/Keystone.
  • Friday: Drive the Norbeck Scenic Byway/Wildlife Loop and maybe Crazy Horse/Hill City. Spend the night somewhere nearby.
  • Saturday: Head home with possible pit stop in the Badlands.

I think it is a pretty good route, now let's hope the weather cooperates to make it a fun trip.

Joel - Thanks for reaching out, we'll be in touch.
Patrick - Thank you for the information, I will keep a close eye on the weather and will not chance anything.
All - Thanks for your suggestions.