View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 09:57 AM
Administrator

We are in the process of talking about a volunteer type patrol on the Rubicon -- maybe wth vests, notepads, ID, and even a radio that will hit the repeater for the Sheriff or the USFS law enforcement. Your ideas would be appreciated. Either way we go at it, we must curtail the mis-behaving that gives our sport a bad image. I'm even thinking that posting the offenders to a world wide web site would be one way to shed some light on their behavior. Join us at the POR BBS to kick this around. Thanks, Del

Del, I copied the above from your website.

I am still trying to reconcile how what you are doing can be 100 percent outside of vigilanteism.

Just for clarification, I looked up the word- vigilante and it states the meaning as any person who takes the law into his or her own hands , as by avenging a crime

I am trying to understand the mechanism used to stop this from happening. You have or will have humans in the patrols and as we all know and have experienced, those around us may not always have the same integrity, belief systems, or honor that would prevent any retribution upon someone from a previous beef.

I know that I have not walked through this world without ruffling a few feathers. As such, there would be hell to pay if someone came knocking on my door over an alleged incident complete with pictures of my license plates. It is not a far stretch to believe that it could happen.

If it were to be posted on a website, I would have even more serious issues.

I am fairly certain that in this country, we are innocent until proven guilty and vigilanteism takes the opposite view and finds you guilty and it is up to you to prove your innocence under unlawfully imposed constraints. Rather contrary to what our justice system is about.

You talk about bad behavior and without going through the legal steps, you have now assumed the capacity of judge and jury with your own imposition of sentence for crimes committed.

Perhaps you can clarify?