View Single Post
Old 09-11-2002, 12:17 PM

Here's a funny side note: and I have people to verify this.

I've seen some people weld nerf bars to thier frame. These are supposed to be strong enough to take a hit, etc.

My tomken rock rails (essentially a nerf bar, I guess) were bolted to the frame. For those that don't know, the tomkens bolt through, into and around the frame. (6 bolts total.)

Now the same person (to remain nameless) with those welded nerf bars had the nerf bars cut off the frame when he upgraded to rocker mounted rocker protection.

Here's a point.

He made no mention of his frame bieng bent, nor the welds giving way. ( And he claims to wheel very hard, a fact to which I attribute no doubt, as he's a widely accepted person on several boards. )

On my jeep, there are two visible spots where the frame had been pulled out and away from it's normal spot.

So, is bolting something to the frame the onlyanswer? I don't think so. In this case, it would show that perhaps welding was a preferable way of being set up... But it' boils down to the quality of the posistion selected, the work done, and the quality of the materials used.

Edit: I haven't been to JU in a while: its funny how things look now. There's a lot of a lack of a clue going on over there. Makes you wonder sometimes.