View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM

She's purring like a kitten!

I checked and found voltage all all the points I'd been advised to check. But she still didn't fire up.

I decided to go ahead and change the plugs and I put on a new set of wires while I was at it - just to narrow down all possibilites of missing something.

That's when I started adjusting the points. You gotta remember I haven't fooled with points since I had a '73 Malibu!

So finally with advice and encouragement from a shaky neighborhood wino, my steady hands and using that "go against what you think is right" philosiphy that Cutch suggested we got the points in the right place.

We hooked the jumper cables back up, poured some gas in the carb and she tried to fire this time.

It took about 3 more tries like this until the Jeep started pulling gas from the tank and was running on her own.

After that the little 258 was sitting there running like a Singer sewing machine.

I had to take a flat tire to get fixed and then we rode around the yard a couple of times. Lord, that thing is geared low! I believe my John Deere has a higher running gear.

Now all I gotta do is buy a tag, buy a battery, get it inspected, and wash it so I can see out of the windshield and we'll go from there.

Oh yeah, the radio doesn't work, but it's AM only

(maybe now that I know where the fuses -in the fuse block-are I can fix that)

I remember when AM was your only option!

Lights, wipers, heater fan etc all seem to be working OK. It has one of the most irritating horns I've ever heard - it's great!

Now I've got to start searching for some panels to replace those rusty ones with. I guess you guys can help me with that????

I've had a good time getting this Jeep cranked. I know somewhere in the hereafter my Pa-in-Law is looking down thinking....." Good job son - but what took you so long?"

Watch out for a green and white J10. I promised to take my wino buddy for a ride.

Thanks again.

hudlow