View Single Post
Old 01-25-2002, 03:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris L:
I recently took my future brother-n-law wheeling and he has a 01 TJ. He has now been bitten by the off road bug. He wants to lift it and run 33's. I would like some opinions on what lift would be best to help guide him in the best direction. I will most likely be helping with the install. It seems pretty much the same underneath the TJ as my ZJ is. I was thinking a RE kit, but am not sure what size lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

97 ZJ 8.0" lift, Armed and plated "short bus".[/quote]

Ok, I understand what you guys are saying. I don't believe you can run 33s and articulate much without more than 3" of lift. More than 3" of lift/and or belly up equals SYE. SYE equals adjustable control arms for the rear and some other goodies.
If your friend wants 33s he is going to have to pay about the same amount as he would if he goes to 35s. He will have the same axle strength concerns but not as much with 33s.
If he wants 33s he will not be happy with anything less. Pay once or pay a bunch of times like the rest of us. We all know bigger tires get you more places. Who's to say this guy won't be a
Rock Crawlin' Fool?
So, I'd say go with the best RE 4"+ lift he can afford or learn more about lifts and put the pieces together. There is plenty of advise here for the later.
Robert, there is more out there than the Hammers and John Bull Trail. Some places and most "Events" demand at least 33" tires.
Of coarse, learning on smaller tires is good!
Bulldog Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!