View Single Post
Old 09-20-2001, 08:49 PM
Banned

Hope this helps explain what I did

What I did was remove the rear "straps" (that attach the drive shaft and u-joints to the rear axle pinion). I then gave a little "tug" on the driveshaft (the whole thing) and it slides completely off (as it's in my storage closet right now). It is the rear u-joint, driveshaft, and what I would call the front "yoke". No u-joints were removed from the shaft. On the back of the t-case is the tail cone, with rear t-case output shaft still sticking out the back. The driveshaft was not connected to the t-case, except maybe for that metal band that holds the rubber boot on. The front yoke of the driveshaft/t-case yoke sort of "floats" on the output shaft of the t-case. It just slides right off the output shaft, right off the back of the t-case. I looked down the rubber boot, still attached to the driveshaft and can see where the teeth (grooves) of the output shaft slide into it.

Had I removed the driveshaft at the u-joints for instance (i.e., leaving the u-joints attached to axle/t-case), the t-case yoke (with the u-joint attached) could be pulled off. The ONLY thing that might make it not slide right off is the metal band that holds the rubber boot on. That is the ONLY thing that is holding on that "yoke", and it seemed safer to just slide the whole thing off than to have that turning at whatever RPM with nothing really holding it on. That yoke slides OVER the t-case output shaft, and holds no fluid or seals anything I can see (it's just the end of the rubber boot against the back of the t-case).

BTW, I know the t-case/driveshaft are stock, and never modified. I read on JU that this would work, but wanted to verify here, among those I trust.

Are you saying there a reason fluid should be leaking out right now (it isn't)?

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm do

[This message was edited by Ace! on September 20, 2001 at 10:39 PM.]