View Single Post
Old 08-13-2002, 02:09 PM

I learned something this weekend too! My son can be a PIA at times.
We did an overnight trail and had a great time. We stopped to explore a mine about 30 miles from Mesquite, NV and his battery blew up. It didn't make a mess 'cause there was hardly any water in it, duh. We removed the battery and tried to jump start it several times and it wanted to fire but just wouldn't. The only thing I knew to do was put my spare CPS, on and pray.
We did that and it started up. Right when I was feeling like a hero for having the spare CPS it died. He then told me he had not given it any gas when first attempting to start it and it didn't need the CPS just some gas pedal. I thought it kind of dumb that he wouldn't try giving it gas when it wouldn't start but I guess he's mostly had electric ignition cars and just knows not to give them gas when starting! We rigged some extra throttle stop so it would idle. After a few miles he stops and says his volt meter is pegged and his buddy just told him on the cell phone not to run it without the battery or **** will happen. I doubt this but off we went 30 miles of fast road to the nearest town (not on the way home) for a battery. In town Tom realized he locked the keys in the car. Off we went 100 miles home for his keys and a battery.
With the new battery the Jeep ran normal. At least it was only 4 or 5 hours of totally preventable BS not like Dan's day!
Ron