View Single Post
Old 01-07-2002, 08:41 PM

Last Chance Canyon/ Red Rock pictures

This is located in the El Paso Mountains, about 25 miles north of Mojave on highway 14. It is a great place to spend some time rambling in your 4x4. I've been there about 10 times since I got my Jeep last year and still find cool stuff every trip. The whole area is laced with old mining roads, pocked with dozens of mines and lots of old buildings in all states of decay. The 'wheeling is easy enough that a good driver in a stock Jeep can go anywhere without hurting it. If you are making your first trip there, pick up a map at the Jawbone Station on highway 14, 20 miles northeast of the 14/58 split in Mojave. This ranger station is strictly 4x4 oriented, they have the best collection of trail maps and books for sale that I have ever seen in one place. The ranger is really helpful, too. Here's some pictures from the trip with Chris_L and a few other jeepers last weekend to give you an idea of what's out there:

The narrows of Goler Gulch.
(not to be confused with Goler Wash in DV.)

I call this "nose gulch".

Eagle-eyed Chris spots a really nice Jeep through the trees.

This is the nearly half mile long Burro Schmidt tunnel.

Tonie Seger, the current live-in owner of the Burro Schmidt tunnel.
Here she is using ASL to tell the story of PottyPee.

Burro Schmidt's cabin.

The enormous Cudahy's Old Dutch Cleanser mine.

Reading the memorials at the dutch cleanser mine.

The Leonids meteor shower.
I took this picture in Last Chance Canyon on a previous trip. Awesome stargazing opportunities there! The glow on the horizon is the Antelope Valley, 20 miles to the south.

When (if) you do visit this area, please leave it a little cleaner than you find it. It is really showing the impact of the previous visitors.

97 2-door 5-speed XJ
"Yes, tow hooks are required!
Trail Crew SoCal 4x4 Club

[This message was edited by Handlebars on January 07, 2002 at 09:58 PM.]

[This message was edited by JeepBBS on January 09, 2002 at 08:39 PM.]