View Single Post
Old 03-28-2004, 07:32 PM
The king of shotgun debate

PCM Fast Learn Mode

I think most people know that the PCM performs several functions controlling Air Fuel ratios via Injector Pulse Width and Ignition Timing.

These ?outputs? are controlled using the ?inputs? received from all the sensors and then comparing these reading against a set of data tables burned into the PCM.

These ?memory tables? are the brains that keep the engine running at low emissions and peak economy across the RPM band

What most people don?t know is that these memory tables change. They are ?adaptive?, based on sensor readings, driving habits, engine performance and sensor tolerances.

Over time, the PCM Memory Tables become tuned to your engine.

Most folks know that disconnecting the battery for 15 to 20 minutes will reset the PCM to get rid of a Ceck Engine Light or Error Codes stored in the PCM.

However this DOES NOT reset the Adaptive Memory Tables in the PCM. Until recently I did not know how to do this.

This procedure first came to me from the folks at Avenger. I then verified it with a phone call to a Chrysler Engineer who had called me a year or so ago to ask about my experiences with a certain part on my TJ. I figured he owned me a favor. He had to check up on this for me. He called me back a week later and did indeed verify this procedure and what it does.

To the best of my knowledge it isn?t documented in any of the FSM.

Forced Flash

This very simple procedure will Erase the ?Adaptive Memory? stored inside the TJ PCM and allow a new ?Adaptive Memory? to be developed.

After performing this procedure the PCM will re-learn and store into Adaptive Memory your engines performance characteristics.
  • 1.Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal and touch it to ground for 30 seconds. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory.)
    2.Reconnect the Battery Cable
    3.Turn Ignition Switch to the ?On? position but DO NOT start the engine
    4.Turn Headlight ?On?
    5.Turn Headlights ?Off?
    6.Turn Ignition Key ?Off?

The Adaptive Memory has now been flashed, or erased from the PCM.

When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory.

When you get the engine up to operating temperature the PCM will start to collect data for the ?Adaptive Memory?.

The PCM will collect data for Adaptive Memory for the first 50 Warm-up Cycles.

Warm-up Cycle

A warm-up cycle happens when all of the following conditions exist.
  • 1. Engine is running
    2. A raise of 40F in engine temperature must occur ABOVE the engine temperature at start-up
    3. Engine Coolant Temp must reach at least 160 F.

Once your engine has gone through 50 warm-up cycles in at least a 500-mile distance the PCM adaptive memory is set. It WILL NOT Change unless you flash it out and start all over again.

This procedure is vitally important for this installation as the install includes much larger fuel injectors and a lot more air being forced into the engine.

However I believe a lot of folks may find it useful on their won Jeeps.

Does it work?

Yes!

You best performance will happen when the Adaptive memory is set to the current conditions of your engine. I tested this on the Dyno.

My test was to dyno run my Jeep after flashing the PCM and resetting the adaptive memory as I described above, with 50 warm-up cycles over a 525-mile distance.

You see the results in the charts posted above.

The last dyno run I did was performing after I flashed the PCM Adaptive Memory while on the dynamometer. We then ran the test again, using in essence the Base Setting that come in the PCM from the factory. This resulted in a loss of 9 HP and 17 ft/lbs of torque.

While this was only one test it certainly is an indicator to me of the importance of having the ?Adaptive Memory? inside the PCM controlling the engine outputs based on the most current engine condition and not those set by the factory or those set in Adaptive Memory 83K miles ago.

I hope some folks will find this useful. I do believe it is a worthwhile task to do from time to time.

Frank

PS: We do not check for emissions here where I live, I would imagine if we did and if My Jeep failed I would be flashing the PCM Adaptive Memory and running the 50 warm-up cycles over 500 miles to reset things to optimum performance.