View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 06:12 PM
The king of shotgun debate

CONTINUATION OF STEP SEVEN. I exseaded the picture limit in this step for this forum

Now just cut the excess ends of the zip ties off
It should look like this when done.

Now you need to remount the V-bracket in the grill. Make sure you have the intercooler radiator facing the front of the Jeep, being held by the V-bracket to its rear.

It should look something like this when it is in place.

OK, now you need to do some rough plumbing of the intercooler hoses.

Before you can connect the hoses to the intercooler radiator you are going to have to cut an oval shaped hole in the rubber wind dam located on the driver side of the radiator opening.

Remove the rubber wind dam and on your workbench cut out this opening inline with the inlet and outlet ports on the radiator.

Once you have this trimmed up nicely and in the right location re-install the rubber wind dam and route two pieces of the included ?-inch heater hose from the engine compartment, through the grill, and the rubber wind dam, to the intercooler radiator.

Secure each hose with the supplied Hose Clamps

Here is a picture of the hoses coming through the rubber wind dam looking through the grill from in front of the Jeep

Here is another shot from inside the engine compartment showing the same two hoses going through the front grill sheet metal via a rectangular opening already there.

It is very important to make sure your hose routing does not bend a radius to small that it kinks the hose.

Double check this, and please when you are done with that check it again.

If you find that no matter what you do you still end up with a kink in one of the hoses I have a trick for you.

Put an extra Hose Clamp around the hose right where the kink is. Tighten this clamp down only enough to secure it to the hose and remove the kink. I have been using this trick for years. An old timer gave it to me, and now I realize I am an old timer giving it to you.

The hose, which you attached to the bottom port of the intercooler radiator, should be extended to the pump inlet, which is the port in the center of the pump. You can attach this end of the hose now with a clamp like this.

The hose that is attached to the upper port on the intercooler radiator should be routed up to the radiator support rod on the driver side and secured there with a wire tie for the time being like this.

You wouldn?t be able to attach this hose to its final home until after the Super Charger is installed. Consider this hose ?roughed in plumbing?.

Start putting things back together.

Re-bolt the A/C Condenser back in place. (two bolts on top, two on the bottom.) With each item make sure you are not pinching off the two intercooler hoses as then come into the engine compartment from the grill.

Reinstall the Radiator. Again check the hoses for clearance.

TEST FIT the Fan Shroud. Odds are you will find a fitment problem here like I did.

All you need do is trim a small piece off the bottom of the plastic fan shroud to clearance the two hoses.

Here is what it looks like after the trimming.

Considering the Fan Shroud had to be clearance a bit and given the location of the intercooler hoses to the Radiator Overflow Bottle you might want to install the bottle to test if there will be any issues there.

In my case the bottle did press on the sides of the hoses just a bit.

I solved this by elongating the four mounting holes in the fan shroud by about ?-inch on the drivers side of each hole. This allowed me to push the shroud to the passenger side a ?-inch, relieving the pressure on the intercooler hoses.

OK, now that you have ?clearance? everything you can install the fan shroud and fan/clutch assembly for real, as well as all the radiator hoses and the overflow bottle.

Time to re-fill the coolant system. I used a ?pre-mixed coolant? for the first time in my life on this project; Wal-mart SuperTech brand. at $3.47 per gallon. (You will need two gallons of the ?green stuff? if you go this route.)

Do your regular thing to get all the air out of the coolant system and the radiator filled to capacity.

Check leaks, and take it for a test drive. When you get back let it cool off and then check the coolant level as you normally would. Top off as needed and don?t forget the recovery bottle level too.

At this point you have 90% of all the Intercooler work done for this installation.

The few remaining items dealing with the intercooler will have to wait until the blower is installed.

By doing the installation this way you in effect remove the need to fill your engine cooling system at the same time you are first firing up the Super Charger. I like this because it eliminates a layer of complexity for a simple-minded man like myself.

Now you don?t have to worry about your cooling system. You know it is working properly because you have filled and tested it for leaks before the blower is put on.

And?

Your Jeep is still drivable in the morning to go to work! (or Wheeling if you absolutely positively have too!)

Frank