View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 09:56 AM

Cagefest Part#3 ***(56K beware)***

As some may know, a couple months ago Adam was so kind and a great help while building me a more suitable a cage. Well, after carefull consideration, I think I screwed up when I decided to do the overhead tubing the way I did.

I had the seats out at the time the overhead tubing was fitted which I think was a mistake on my part by not tossing them in to check for head clearance. Oh well.

Yesterday we (Sergey, Blaine & I) removed some of the overhead cage tubing and redid it so it has less of a chance of knocking somebodys pumpkin.

Here's how it looked before we removed 3 of the overhead pieces of tubing. The strength was fine, it's just that I didn't feel comfortable with having it that close to anybodys head.

As you can see, we redid things so there's far less of a chance that the cage overhead tubing would cause injury from folks bouncing or from sudded trail changes when your body sometimes gets tossed about. Sure, seatbelts would take care of some of that issue, but if folks with a taller stature were in it their safety would potentially be in jeopardy.

Plus, we added the 2 windshield chromo streamline pieces for a little more strength and tied the 2 overhead pieces together with some vented ~1/8" steel for shear strength. Then added a tab for the rear view mirror.

Hopefully, possibly later today, the front frame tie-ins will be completed & my Jeep will soon be back home. Update on that - later.

Thanks goes out toward my friends Blaine and Sergey for helping me out during the on/off drizzling rain.