Thread: Pulse TIG
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 05:46 AM

Matt,

Sorry it took me a day or so to get back to you. I worked 70+ hours this week.....

You are discovering exactly what I did, that there are NO references for pulse set up or parameters. It's all personal preference and voodoo.

I haven't welded a lot of thin steel with our Dynasty. To be honest, I struggle with thin steel and need to work at it before I'm happy with my beads. However, our new welder, Chris, has had some outstanding results on thin steel. I'll see how he sets it up.

He struggles with aluminum, and me with thin steel, so we cancel each other out. I can however weld thin stainless with great results. Go figure.

I honestly don't know a lot about your machine, so forgive me if I advise something that isn't applicable.

This is how I run aluminum from 1/16 to 1/4".

300 amps. The Dynasty does a MUCH better job modulating the amperage through the remote than any other transformer based machine I've used. Don't know why, it just does.

Normally we run our machine at 180 hertz. It took us a while to finally settle on this number. For us it seems to be a good all around frequency.

Balance is usually 60-70 percent, depending upon need. I'm anal about grainy looking beads, and I am more than happy to deal with excessive cleaning action.

My pulse setting vary from 6 pluses a second to 60. I haven't yet found a need for anything higher. Maybe when I weld up some more drink cans I can approach the 4000 PPS it's capable of.

I will have to double check, but I believe my Peak t is set to 70%, and background a at 60%. Higher than recommended, but it works well for me.

These settings also allow me to maintain a pointed tungsten on aluminum, which is huge. No more wandering or fluttering arc around the ball. Point the heat and go. Corners are now easy.

Good luck with it, and if I can help, just ask. I'm still learning myself.....

PS-We're using the sine wave to appease the old guy that welds with us. It mimmicks a transformer based machine. For the record, he HATES the Dynasty. Old dog.....
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?