View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 08:28 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Ty,

My air intake is using the stock air box that I have relocated to fit just above the distributor so that wasn't any issue with concern for rain water coming into the filter on my TJ.

Hi Dan,

It's never too late for anything, however given I now have two holes filled with louvers in my hood it might be a bit difficult to get any reading of before and after in the areas you have an interest in.

Right now I am going to put a focus on getting the numbers up on the testing I have already done. Once that's done I would be happy to see what I can do to help you out in this area.

Hi Brad,

I agree. We capture and hold a tremendous amount of heat in that engine bay.

Heat management on a Jeep, is in my opinion a poor design at best, and at worst a compromise solutions that does not even come close to addressing the cooling needs when operating at the extremes of what a Jeep can do, in extreme environments.

Think about this for a second.

You have an engine that must be cooled. So what do we do?

We run coolant through the water jackets in the engine and pump it FORWARD to the radiator to blow air through it that picks the heat up only to BLOW IT RIGHT BACK ONTO THE ENGINE YOU ARE TRYING TO COOL.

Does anyone thing this is a good design? I think it is more then a little bit basically flawed!

Then stick a condenser in front of that radiator, an oil cooler, perhaps a power steering cooler that you need to keep those temps under 180 F and maybe a remote auto trans cooler and things only get more complex.

Another function which effects cooling significantly and may create a need for better temperature management are altitude, humidity levels, and the degree of load an on or off road trip may be putting out.(Is it extreme rock crawling or a trail ride I'm on? It would matter.)

Hi William,

You are stealing my thunder with the electric fan idea!

My plan is to mount two auxiliary coolers, one for my Power Steering Fluid and another for the Engine Oil right below the two drip pans which I will cut out.

Not only will these cooler have electric fans pushing the air through them and through the louvers, but they will also have an Evaporative Cooling System as well. Sort of like those Misters you folks in SoCal see all over the place.

Evaporative cooling, using distilled water from Wal-Mart and the Windshield Washer tank/pump can and does provide an unbelievable drop in temperatures.

The key is to use only as much water as can be evaporated on the fins of the cooler. Anymore is not only wasted but also impacts efficiency in a negative way.

I have done a lot of experimenting on this, (on my kitchen stove and in the shop. Now I am getting ready to build a system for the Jeep.

Hi Jim,

I have a newer Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that was called in for a safety recall. I waited for it being it was to take only a half an hour. They lied.

Two hours later it still wasn't done. Needless to say I was a bit ticked. While waiting there I saw a 94 GTP with these louvers. I asked the service manager if he could get me the part numbers for them. He was very accommodating. He ordered them for me and they were in the next day.

I tell you this story becuase perhaps given I was more then a bit ticked he managed to get me a better price then I could normally get them for. I do have the invoice I received with the parts and that's all I paid for them

Good luck on your hunting them down. Maybe try another dealer.

Thank you all for your kind words, I am glad many may find this useful.

Frank