View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Well, not having a winch makes your situation a little different. I used my Hi Lift alot when I first got my rig and didn't yet have a winch. Even after I got the winch I still carried it and ocassionally used it so I do see your point. I am at the point now that it simply became just more weight for me, so, off it went.

Personally though, if you want to do things better and safer, I think you should look into a winch or establish a budget for one. MO is that they are invaluable for getting oneself out of a mess, particularly if you wheel alone or in a very small group which seems to be your situation. Also, the new composite ropes on the market make for a huge safety improvement when using a winch as well as for ease of handling. Hard to argue with that.
Hi Robert,

I strongly agree that a winch would be a great tool for my Jeep.

That said, for the reasons I have given I still think that even with a winch, there are times on the trails that I go jeeping on (which are a small fraction of the difficulty of the trails that you jeep on), in my little Jeep, that the Hi Lift jack is my preferred solution to problems that I have. Even if I had a winch to use.

I think what I am getting at, is that when the question of whether to carry, use, buy, etc. a Hi Lift jack comes up, it probably deserves a little bit more context, in terms of where you are wheeling, who you are wheeling with, how you are set up, what other recovery equipment you carry, and how and why you have (or have not) used the jack in the past, and how and why you plan (or plan not to) use the jack in the future.