View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM

New garage tool (plasma cutter)

With the projects friends and I sometimes do while working in my garage, I often find myself wishing I had a cutting torch, or a plasma cutter for various jobs. I had borrowed friends' plasma cutters before & they have always made quick work of projects. I have used them before as well at friends' houses/shops so I knew how handy they were to have around, but I still don't know much about them.

Anyway, after doing a few months of interweb research & shopping around on various websites, cyberweld, craigslist, ebay, talking with friends who use them to make a living etc, I found a nice machine locally at a reasonable price that should be able to do pretty much any job I come across. It's a Miller Spectrum 625.

Later today, I'll be using it for the first time as I'm in the process of designing & building a new truss for my YJ. I made a cardboard template and have traced that shape out on some flat plate steel. More to follow on that - later.....

If anybody has some tips to share, this newbie would be more than happy to hear about them.