View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
january 17, 2010: 96th short message (05:32 a.m. Cet)

5 p.m. Are still more or less at the same spot like yesterday. The distance to the pass is still around 5 km, but now we are on the ridge.
Last night it took us eight hours to winch the two cars and trailers up the hill. This morning i took two small-shot cartridges and constructed a new bearing for the servo pump, because it broke again. Yesterday six people from providenia ? were the people are waiting for our arrival ? came to visit us and to see how we are doing. We were sincerely greeted by the leader of the administration, the leader of border control of the russian troops, representatives of mcs and others.
Unbelievable, really. I will write more in the main report. Team spirit great. Team is feeling good.

Quote:
january 17, 2010: 97th short message (09:42 p.m. Cet)

today, we accomplished 2.1 km. It was very tough work. We had to look for paths and get through snow fields for what seemed like forever. But driving around worked out. F1 is still running without any problems. The team is okay.

Quote:
january 18, 2010: 98th short message (08:06 a.m. Cet)

today, we accomplished 1.6 km. The pass is now 1.9 km away. Endless powder snow. We winch and shovel ? toughest strains for each and everyone. Cold, endeavor, shortness of sleep, but everyone does their utmost. Just great this team. No controversy, nothing. I am very enthusiastic about each and everyone. Just like settlers at that time ? bit by bit in an unknown country.
Quote:
january 18, 2010: 99th short message (12:49 p.m. Cet)

are literally walking on our last legs. This godawful pass.
It?s enough. Gosh. A little while ago, i was so angry. Oh well, after that, the snow had a realization. It froze a little more and we could move 800 m in two hours. Now we are standing on a hillside ? on a little plateau ? about 1.2 km away from the pass, with both vehicles and trailers. Tonight we will try to make a track with f1 and use sticks, that i placed today during the daylight, as orientation (if we can find them at night ). The snow here makes you go crazy. The surface is hard as concrete, but underneath is nothing but powder. If the surface breaks, the wheel breaks in and then there is no more traction. This form of snow is very different from the snow e.g. In jakutsk. There, we didn?t reach the passes easily, but we did get to cross them. Here, everybody has their hands full of weals from shoveling and everybody has enough from the ?pass?.
Quote:
january 19, 2010: 100th short message (00:16 a.m. Cet)

have to get out of here. Yesterday we received a bad weather report ? on january 21/22, there is expected to be a storm with snow, snow drifts and wind speed 9-10 as well as hurricane blasts. We only have two days left. We have to make it. We worked the whole night, shoveled like crazy and winched. We accomplished another 200 meters along the steep hillside ? we mastered an absolute challenge. Another 1.7 km to the pass.

Quote:
january 19, 2010: 101st short message (05:04 a.m. Cet)

800 m before the pass, after what seemed like endless days, nights and efforts: Problems with the axles on f1 and f2. Right now we are organizing support and a rescue vehicle. Team is great. Have to retain our composure. We gave everything, really everything until now. Retain composure / retain composure ? it is very difficult.