View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
March 15, 2010: 160th short message (04:03 p.m. CET)

Nine hours for 14 kilometers ? not bad.

Current position: N 65?44.185 / W 170?53.227

Everything is okay. 86 km to go.

Quote:
March 16, 2010: 161st short message (00:30 a.m. CET)

8 a.m. After four hours of sleep, a lukewarm cup of coffee and a couple of cookies, we continued our drive. Our way (GPS-track which is usually used be the Vestichot supply drivers) leads us across a large plateau which is ? in the distance ? framed by ridges. The impression of endless vastness is amplified by dazzling light that spreads through snow, haze and sunrays.

Vanishingly small, like a ?nothing?, we slowly move through this vastness with our vehicles and trailers. The speed of 2 km/h is doing the rest.

At this point we would like to say a special thank you to the administration and the ?JHK?, Lavrentia?s communal service, for their help and support. Especially the provision of the two working areas in the local garages for the repair of our two vehicles was a big help.

Quote:
March 16, 2010: 162nd short message (00:55 a.m. CET)

12 p.m. Are progressing well. Current position: N 65?50.593 / W 170?50.588

There?s a storm in Anadyr and Providenia, while we are driving through the most beautiful sunshine. The weather forecast ? according to which the storm is supposed to pass right over us ? is amazingly good. Right now we are in the midst of a high, which squeezed between two low-pressure systems. I am dumbfounded about how great the weather data of the DWD are that we receive, and completely rely on these information to a 100% in all regards.

70 km to go.

Quote:
March 16, 2010: 163rd short message (05:06 a.m. CET)

4 p.m. Another damage on the fan?s engine. It slowed us down. Afterwards we entered the most difficult part of the section: a canyon that is difficult to drive and that ends in the inclination to a pass. Great, we are digging for two hours at the same spot. Difficult/tired.

Quote:
March 16, 2010: 164th short message (12:01 p.m. CET)

5 p.m. Moved forwards meter for meter. But now there is absolutely no sight for the drivers. Due to the light, snow and haze, we can?t recognize any outlines anymore, even with our yellow glasses anymore. Everything is a white-blue soup. Decided to take a break and stay for the night. We will sleep for about three hours. Then we will try to drive/work for the rest of the night. Are approximately 500 meters before the first of five passes.

7.30 p.m. A horrible sound wakes me from my sleep. My engine? I pull the door open. No, everything?s fine. Then it has to be Rudi?s car. What a bummer! I jump out, stumble drowsily towards F2, fall, and then see two lights that appear behind F2: a drilled out Vestichot or one without an exhaust pipe.
Wow, man. Nobody needs a scare like that.
The bottom line is that this turned out to be good for us because a) we would have had to get up anyway, and b) the Vestichot now prepares a track, at least for a couple of kilometers before it heads towards Naschken. We can follow this track and have it a little easier. We drive in the track with one wheel and only have to shovel for the other. Once again a great coincidence.

Durrent position: N 65?54.331 / W 170?43.951
Everything alright.