View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM

I figured there would be some interest

Baja is so big and diverse that there is just no way to get a good 'sampler' in just 4-5 days. Especially when you consider it doesnt even start to get good untill you are quite a ways south of the border.

I have been beach camping Baja for 20 years, it has just been the past 5 years that I have discovered how increadible the central mountain range of Baja is which is why that has been my focus.

With that said, I would never pass up the oportunity for a Baja beach camping trip! Most of my beach camping has been on the Pacific side, Ensanada south to El Rosario. The Sea of Cortez side could be VERY tempting though, warmer, clearer water, maybe venture down towards Bahia de los Angeles

Robert, re: GPS

I'd recomend staying with a Garmin product. Mainly because it is more common so sharing GPS data/tracks is simpler. Of course you can convert from Garmin data to Magellan, it's just an extra step that could lead to some confusion.

Vern, that was a cool map! It was very interesting to see the old names (that locals still use when giving directions) that no longer exist on modern maps. Can you imagine taking on the task of mapping Baja 75-100 years ago? Now that would have been some serious adventure!