View Single Post
Old 01-25-2002, 12:34 PM

It really depends on what he wants it for.

if he wants it more for around town/family hauling purposes, with offroading as a secondary consideration, I'd go with the ZJ(Grand).

It's bigger, it rides nicer, gets the same gas miliage, has a nicer interior, etc.

If he is looking to build it up for offroading, I'd go with the XJ. The XJ is lighter and smaller, easier to swap a bigger rear axle into (leaf springs in back), etc.

I don't know much about XJs, but I think I remember people saying 94 and up are good years, since that was the last design change in the whole run.

For Grands, I would get 96 and up, preferably a 97 or 98 because they had the most bugs worked out of them and had upgrades to things like the unibody frame strenght as well as having a 5 or 10 HP increase in the I-6 engine versus the 93-95 years.

If he gets and XJ, definitely get the i-6 engine.

For a ZJ, the v8 is nice, but I have the i-6 and it works fine. If he plans to tow stuff, get the v8. (The benifit of going with the I-6 is you most likely get Selectrac 4wd transfer case which I think is better than the quadra drive transfer case).

If he can, he should try to get Selectrac in the XJ too, it's nice to be able to use 4wd in the rain or slight snow but i think XJs come with comandtrac more often than not which is the same T-case as in the TJs.

I hope this helps.

Grey 98 ZJ.