View Single Post
Old 01-25-2002, 12:49 PM

I agree with Grey.

I have a 99 WJ (the new body Grand) and it's been a great truck, and it works great off road, BUT there is little aftermarket support for the Grand and everything becomes some type of pain in the ass.

The ZJ's have it easier with parts, but there are more lift options for the XJ. Also, many ZJ's have CV front driveshafts and other non lift tolerant drivetrain parts that if you go upwards of 4" you'll need to replace.

The Grand is a nicer vehicle and it is larger inside. The wheelbases are only approx 4" different. The XJ's are a tad narrower as well.

Personally - with all I've been through in dealing with some vibration issues lately I'm ready for TJ.

I don't think the ZJ, WJ, or XJ particularly like to be lifted - they seem to groan a lot about it.

For engines - V8 for the Grand, I6 for the XJ. I'd got automatic for both, but a lot of the XJ guys swear by their 5 speeds.

Selectrac (242) or Command Trac (231) is the way to go. Although I think you could only get quadra trac in the V8 ZJ’s. Quadra drive is new – started in 99 and is a VERY good case (247) (it doesn’t have the viscous coupling that the quadra trac case had) The quadra trac case is known to wear the viscous coupling and they can get expensive to fix. You can always swap in a Selectrac case without too many issues (I think they just bolt up, but I’m not sure).

97-98 is a very good year for the Grand. I don't know exactly what year, but I think 1999 or 2000 is when the XJ went to a standard rotation (low pinion) D30 up front that will need to be swapped if you plan to lift higher than 2". You get hellacious driveline vibes from that front end - the old XJ's had a reverse rotation fron D30. But, the D30 is an excellent axle.

Rear axles are a pain in the ass on a ZJ - their are either a 35c clip which doesn't have a lot of options or lockers available for it - and has a reputation for being weak - or the dreaded aluminum D44 C clip. There are NO real locker options for the aluminum cased D44 - the best you can do is a trac-lock. I'm not sure about the XJ but I think they had a D35 c clip in the older ones and a 8.8 in the newer ones.

Chances are the front axles are CV joints instead of U-joints on the Grand. If you ever break one you’ll need to carry a space CV axle as non of your CJ/YJ/TJ buddies will have them and you can’t just replace a CV like you can a u-joint.

There is actually a lot of info on Grands in the archives on JU - you'll need to weed through the jackass posts, but the grand board in early 01 was really good.

Jeff

99 WJ Laredo - lifted with accoutrements