Thread: Spark Plugs
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by seajeeper
30K? I guess I better get on this and at least LOOK at these. I changed the stock plugs at about 12K (and broke 5 out of 6) 6 years ago. I haven't touched the ignition since. I currently have 65K on stock wires, cap, rotor, and 50+K on the autolite regular old plugs.

I sure hope you haven't jinxed me Robert!

I hope not too but I can't believe some of you guys and your service intervals. Maybe its just me being paranoid but there are plenty of things to go wrong on a rig as it is (out in the middle of nowhere) to not do basic ignition as well as other maintenance.

While not plug related, its still a good example of what I am talking about. 2 years ago, I had my Jeep start running like crap and then simply shut itself off while negotiating the exit on Clawhammer. Great, now I am on the winch and nothing would get it started. We assumed that pointed to the CPS which was still the original unit with 60k on it. Pulled out the spare and still nothing. Swapped in a TPS (to replace the stocker) and still nothing.

Now, I was to far into the trail to have enough battery power to winch myself out and the exit of Claw is not one where you can move alot of vehicles around and get someone into a position to strap a rig out so things were looking a bit grim. Thats when Scott Hill noticed that my fuel pump was not making any noise when I turned the key to start. Turned out to be a simple 25 cent 20amp fuse causing the problem. I can't for the life of me figure out why that fuse blew and its never happened since but like I said, there is plenty of crap to go wrong on a rig that can come out of nowhere not to do maintenance.