View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
We use some various compressors in the lab at work on the sucking side. It?s a constant battle to keep them running ? we swap spares in and rebuild compressors all the time. On the pushing side we use nitrogen, stored in liquid form ? fabulous, nothing to break, and the storage tank phones the provider to come and fill at up once levels of nitrogen get low.

Sorry, I don?t know if compressors used for welding give people less headaches, but in the lab we prefer to avoid compressors whenever other alternatives are available.
The only headache it's giving me is picking one out. And to be honest, I don't want to spend close to 2k for a compressor, but I will if I have to.

The compressor will be used for the occasional air tool, but mostly it's for a carbon arc torch. That process uses a carbon rod to melt metal. It's the opposite of welding. I can completely and neatly cut out a 6 inch weld in seconds. You can also use it to pierce a hole, bevel heavy plate and so on.

If I use an electric compressor hooked up to the welder, it severely limits me amperage wise, to use the carbon arc torch. That's unacceptable. So it appears that a gas powered compressor is the way I have to go.

Here's the dilemma. I need 60 gallons of compressed air, and a compressor that puts out 8CFM @ 40 PSI.

Experience shows me that I can live with 30 gallons on a compressor that maxes out at 175 PSI, providing that the CFM is up to snuff.

The wheelbarrow styles put out enough CFM, but don't have enough capacity. Adding storage tank(s) looks tacky, plus I don't have a lot of room.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.....
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?