View Single Post
Old 12-05-2002, 02:33 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Blaine,

Thanks for your thoughts on where to mount the cameras. I certainly will try that location. Perhaps given the 92 degree field of view I will move them in from the frame rails more toward the center of the skid plate front and rear/ left and right edges for a bit more angle on things.

You know given the mud and muddy water I have to drive through at times I had not given any thought to how I would keep the lens clean other then Windex and paper towels. Since your suggestion I have come up with an idea that may or may not work but I plan to give it a try.

I?m thinking about going to the salvage yard and picking up a windshield washer fluid bottle and four spray nipples and a few feet of water hose.

The cameras are 1.250-inches in diameter, but have only a small 3mm lens opening. The remainder of the diameter is for the IR LEDS.

I?m thinking maybe I can rig the washer nozzles to point right at the lens and when they get dirty just throw an in-cab switch to wash them off. Kinda like how Mercedes use to wash their headlights off.

I?m going to give it a shot. What can it cost, $5? Thanks for getting me to think about this issue as I had not before.

Hi Don,

So when were you planning on sharing with the rest of us your parking brake design? Sounds interesting. Have any pictures? Give?m Up my friend!

Frank