View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 05:00 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Good Morning Rick,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.

I have to say, given the topic, your obvious interest in learning and your location Champaign-Urbana, IL, you must be connected to the University of Illinois.

Undergrad? Graduate? or are you on the University staff? EE or Comp Sci?

I can see a lot of possibilities, as you have, to integrate your work into a system that can dynamically monitor and provide real-time feedback on the location of the Jeep's Center of Gravity. And I really like the idea of interfacing the accelerometers, thought the Basic Stamp, directly to a pre programmed Palm type device.

My thoughts are to program the Palm to accurately calculate the physical location of the Jeep's C of G based on the previously collected data. Once this location is calculated the Palm could be interfaced to your system, while the Jeep was on level ground, to establish a "Neutral" of Home Calibrated C of G to the Accelerometers position.

Changes in the Accelerometers position, caused by tilting the Jeep, could then be extrapolated and converted (in real time) to not only the location of the Jeep's C of G but also to the gravitational length of the wheel track and wheel base.

Perhaps the Palm screen could be displayed in graphics which would be simple to digest while driving off-road.

Maybe something like the C of G represented as a point on top of the pyramid, balance within the gravitation patch as I described in my document.

Perhaps something like this.

And has the Jeep goes off camber or tilts up or down hill, or any combination of tilt along the X and Y axis, the simple pyramid graphic would change dynamically to reflect the C of G location in relationship to the gravity support patch and Roll Over potential.

Just some of my thoughts on this. I'm sure other can add a lot as well. I'd be very interested in working on something like this. I have or certainly can develop the algorithms that would need to be programmed on the Palm end, but I will have to confess upfront, my skill and abilities are limited in the arena in which you are working. Let me know if your interested, I believe between the two of us, and others we might be able to build something rather unique here. And if nothing else learn a lot in the process too!

Frank

PS: Sergey, speak up my friend! You're one of those young guy wiz kid techie guru's! Bring your value to the table! This could be fun!