View Single Post
Old 05-20-2003, 11:14 AM

Re: Trailer Questions -- An update before a decision

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
I'm about to buy a trailer and could use a couple of quick answers.

1. Trailer brakes --- Double axle, nice to have or need to have? Can the 2nd axle be added later? (nobody has a double axle brake on the lot, has to be ordered and it takes 6 weeks)

2. Ball size -- 2" or 2 5/16"? Does it really make any difference? Same issue as the trailer brakes... I can get it but do I need it?

3. Carson trailer or Az Tex? I know Carson supposed to be a little better, but is there an appreciable difference?
Seth,

They can add the extra brakes on the lot to a trailer in stock.... They forgot to add my extra brakes, and added them on the lot.(it was built and bought in Fontana, they build them right where I bought it) I'd also go with the 2 5/16" ball. Most 2" ball couplers on the trailer are only rated at 5,000lbs..... I know at AZ-Tex you need the 2 5/16" to make sure you get the 7,000lb rating. Carson trailers in stock on the lots only have a 2" 5,000lb coupler for a 7,000gvw trailer... go figure? Maybe no one has ever had trouble with a 2" ball/ coupler, but I like the extra margin of safety the bigger ball provides. Plus if anything ever happens, legally, you would be covered if you had an accident and your 5,000 ball and coupler were overloaded My trailer/Jeep loaded is over 5,000lbs. I can order a 2" ball with higher that a 5,000lb rating, but that doesn't fix the coupler on the trailer.

Another brand to add into the mix: Big Tex. I think they make the best trailers, but they are about $2,200 out the door instead of the 1,200 to 1,600 the others are. A buddy just picked one up, set up the same as mine, but his cost was almost $650 more! No thanks for me, but they sure are nice!

1. Get the 2 5/16" ball
2. The extra brakes will run you $150(Carson) or $145(A-Z Tex)
the extra brakes are worth it in my opinion.

Both of those guys make a good trailer. I bought an AZ just because They were nicer for the special order I wanted. Carson wouldn't do the wider trailer(82" between the fenders and no dovetail) that I needed, when I needed it. Plus the guys on the local Carson lot were idiots
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350