View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 06:56 AM
Banned

Arrow

Seth,

My trailer has 3500# axles, 2" ball rated 10k lbs with large shank. 4 wheel brakes all around. Been traveling many miles cross country for 5 years, below I will list the problems that had which have since been corrected as of two years ago. After they were corrected I've not had anymore problems with this configuration.

I hit a truck scale and with Jeep, trailer, toolbox, etc it came in at 7,000 pounds.

1. Blown out tires galore. Got sick of this and changed out all my tires to D rated. Since then I've had no more problems other than replacing them when they get worn out. The most important thing is to keep them properly inflated at all times, don't care what rating they are, it they don't have proper air for the weight they will blow. I've seen E rated go because of this.

2. Frozen bearing while traveling on the highway on I70, lost a wheel with entire drum assembly. Luckily now one was hurt. I was told since I had greaseable buddy bearing I did not have to repack my bearings. This was BS. You still have to repack bearings no matter what at least every 7k or every year. I found this out after my ordeal. As of 2 years of doing this I've had no more bearing problems.

I'm happy with my trailer and will keep it since it's pretty set up for my current needs. If I had to do it again they only thing I would change would be to go with 6000# axles for a margin of load and safety. I'm at the borderline now with what my current axles can carry, I seem to be doing fine though as this trailer has been in use for 5 years.