View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 05:56 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Step 11 ? Relocate the MAP Sensor:

Disconnect the Battery. Always disconnect the Battery, even if you don?t think you need to!

The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor is bolted to the side of the Throttle Body.

Go find your Throttle Body (Think clean out of the way place!) and bring it over to your shop bench.

See the rectangular shaped black boxy looking thing? That?s it.

Remove the two Torx Screws that hold it in place. You will need a T-25 bit.

Remove the ?L? shaped rubber fitting between the MAP sensor and the Throttle Body and remove the MAP Sensor.

Plug the vacuum port on the throttle body where the ?L? shaped rubber fitting was connected to, with the supplied 1/8-inch rubber plug and go put your throttle body back in that clean safe place again. You will need it later.

Pick a spot on or near the driver side inner wheel well to mount the MAP sensor.

I choose to make a small ?L? shaped bracket that allowed me to bolt the MAP sensor up to the studs holding the Brake Proportioning Valve Bracket on.

Here?s a picture.

I suppose you could use the Torx Bolts to mount the MAP sensor after relocating it but in truth I hate those things. I just dug through the bolt box and came up with some nice Stainless Steel Allen caps.

Here is a top view showing the MAP Sensor mounted to the proportioning valve bracket.

Before you mount the MAP sensor in it?s new home you may want to attach the 1/8-inch hose supplied with the kit to the port on the bottom of the MAP sensor. If you don?t do it now you will do it later using the Braille system like I did.

Find the ?-inch NPT thread X 1/8-inch hose barb fitting supplied with the kit.

You need to install this fitting in the vacuum port you left unplugged in the side of the intake manifold. Be sure to use some thread sealant or RTV on the threads.

Connect the other end of the 1/8-inch hose, running from the bottom of the MAP sensor, to the hose barb fitting you just installed in the manifold. Be sure to cut the hose with enough slack to allow for the engine room to torque over when you hit the skinny pedal..

NOTE: The MAP Sensor is the only vacuum operated device on your Jeep that should be plumbed to the intake manifold. All other vacuum devices will be plumbed later to the blower.

Also Note: If you decide to install an aftermarket Boost Gauge later you will plumb that into the intake manifold via one of the1/4-inch NPT threaded ports you plugged up earlier.

Your MAP sensor should now be relocated to it?s new home.

Go have a beer, you earned it. Heck you earned it just for reading this far. Relax, I?m almost done. We get to the good stuff soon!

Frank