View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 10:03 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Step 12 ? Install the Blower / Intercooler Assembly: FINALLY!!!!

By the time you are done with this task you and everyone else will be able to ?SEE? what you have been doing all this time.

Disconnect the Battery

Remove the Duck Tape you put over the Intake Manifold Throttle Body hole.

Using the original Throttle Body Gasket and the five (5) supplied flat top Allen bolts, mount the ?Intercooler to Intake Manifold Adaptor Plate? to the Intake Manifold.

Please note, there are two ways to mount this plate, upside down, and the right way. Don?t ask how I know, just make sure the side with the ?O?-ring grove cut around the intake manifold opening if facing up and you will be ok.

Also as you can see there is an oval shaped hole cut in the adapter. This is to allow clearance of the manifold casting nipple and vacuum port plug.

Be sure to use Medium Strength Loctite (the blue stuff) on these screws. You will need a 5/32-inch Allen wrench. Torque these bolts down to 108 in/lbs.

Remove the Serpentine Belt

You will need a 15mm wrench to loosen the Idler Pulley

Use the same wrench to loosen the adjusting screw behind the idler gear.

Once you have the belt loose it will come right off.

Install the IAT Sensor

The Intake Air Temperature Sensor needs to be installed on the bottom of the intercooler before you install the blower / intercooler assembly on the intake manifold. You will need a ?-inch wrench.

There are two ways to install the IAT Sensor, depending on model year of your Jeep.

Turn the blower / intercooler assembly over and take a look at the bottom of the intercooler.

You will find one open hole and another with a plug in it.

The threaded hole that is cut Straight, at a 90 degree angle to the intercooler, as you would expect, should receive the IAT senor if your Jeep is a 2000 model year or OLDER.

The threaded hole which is cut on an Angle, (about 15 degrees) should be used to install the IAT Sensor if your Jeep is a 2001 Model year or NEWER.

Be sure to use thread sealant or RTV on the threads of the IAT Sensor and torque it down to 20 ft/lbs.

Make sure the hole you don?t use is plugged and sealed with thread compound.

My Jeep is a 97, so you see in the picture above the IAT Sensor went in the straight cut threaded hole in the bottom of the intercooler.

Why two holes? This is to allow room for the IAT Sensor to clear the changes made by Jeep in the intake manifold design in the later years.

Mount the Blower / Intercooler assembly

Find the rather large ?O?-ring in your package and place it in the machined grove in the Intercooler to Intake Manifold Adaptor Plate.

Grab some shop towels and some tape and wrap them around the Radiator Support rod on the drivers side. This is not only to protect from scratches but also to aid you in placing the Blower / Intercooler in place. Trust me, its like doing upper arm curls and the rags help you from killing your arms.

Get a good grip of the Blower / Intercooler assembly and gently lower it down on top of the intake manifold adaptor plate.

Important Do not forget the IAT Sensor is hanging down below the intercooler. When you put this assembly down do not hit it.

Also, do not slide the assembly around. If you do you could damage the ?O?-ring. You want to curl it right down on the manifold adaptor. If you don?t get it right the first time, PICK IT UP and relocate it. Do not Slide it around!

End of Important!

Once you have it in place and the bolt holes line up, bolt the Blower / Intercooler assembly to the manifold adaptor plate using the 4 supplied Allen Bolts.

You will need a 6 mm Allen wrench.

Blower Nose Support

Attached the Blower Nose Support to the Power Steering Pump mounting bolts.

There are three P/S Pump Mounting bolts one located at about 1 o?clock, another at 10 o?clock and the third at about 7 o?clock.

Remove the first two bolts entirely.

DO NOT remove the bolt at 7 O?clock, but rather loosen it and back it out about ?-inch.

If you remove them all, the P/S Pump falls down and goes Boom! (Don?t ask.)

To get to these bolts you will need a ?-inch deep well socket. You will access these bolts through a hole in the Power Steering Pump Pulley.

Like this.

Once you have removed the top two bolts and back the bolt located at around 7 O?clock out about a ?-inch, you need to loosen the Allen Bolt used to clamp the Blower Nose to the Bracket. Use a 5 mm Allen Wrench.

When you do this you will be able to swing the bracket down behind the Power Steering Pulley. The bracket is slotted to slide right behind the bolt you backed out.

Once you have it in place, install the two bolts you removed and line things up, then tightens these bolts down to 25 ft/lbs.

Tighten the Allen Bolt to clamp the bracket to the Blower Nose with the 5mm Allen Wrench.

NOTE: If you have a 2001 or NEWER TJ you need to swap the stock Idler Pulley with the Idler pulley that came installed on the Blower Support Bracket. Take them both off and relocate one in place of the other.

NOTE2: If you have a 1998 or NEWER TJ you may need to grind a very small amount of material from the bottom of the thermostat housing. Do this carefully as the housing is very thin.

Why you ask? I have no clue. Mine is a 1997!

Please read that; I don?t know what I am talking about here but it is in the instructions that Avenger sent so I figure I would put the note here

End of Note 2

Go call someone so they can admire your work. When they say, ?Finally!?; hit them with something, soft! Like a wrench!

The Blower / Intercooler Assembly is now installed.

On to the next step.