View Single Post
Old 04-09-2004, 07:16 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Step 13 ? There is no Step 13!!!

Not that I am superstitious, but I mean why push it. With my luck my A/F ratio would go so lean I?d blow my engine up.

So??.

On to step??..

Step 14 ? Complete the Intercooler Plumbing

If you followed my order of installation you should have the Intercooler Radiator, Water Pump and two Hoses in place.

The hose running form the bottom port of the intercooler radiator should be attached to the center (inlet) port of the pump. If you haven?t done this earlier now would be a good time to do it.

You will have a 90-degree bend hose in the package. Find it and fit this hose to the back of the intercooler and the side (exhaust) port of the coolant pump.

Run a short length of hose from the Outlet Port on the Front of the Intercooler over to the radiator Support Rod on the driver side. Connect this hose, to the hose connected to the upper port of the Intercooler radiator using the supplied ?T? connector.

Tight down all your hose clamps.

Attach? the Filler ?T? to the Radiator Support Rod with a couple of cable ties. This ?T? fitting needs to be the highest stop in the intercooler system.

Fill the Intercooler

You are going to need a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water to fill the system. Just short of 1 gallon.

I used premixed stuff from Wal-mart, but with a twist.

Being my engine uses the ?green stuff? I purchased the ?Yellow Stuff? to use in the intercooler.

Why?

Well if I ever have to trouble shoot a leak my evidence will be color coded for me at the system level!

Filling the intercooler is a time consuming task. The instructions tell you that, but it still took me over 2 hours to make sure I managed to get all the air out of the system.

Connect the Battery and Connect the Coolant Pump to its power source.

Fill the system with the coolant through the ?T? fitting.

When you have it filled (you really don?t) turn the pump on!

(I did this from under the hood, with the ignition key on, by touching the fuse to the contacts of the fuse holder I installed for the pump..

Do this for only a few seconds.

What you will find is you now have a lot more room to put more coolant in!.

Fill it up again and turn the pump on for a second or two.

And go through this cycle till you can?t get any more in.

Trust me, you do not have all the air out of the system yet.

Leaving the cap off the ?T? fitting, turn the pump on and let it circulate for a while.

Listen while you do. When the air pockets hit the veins in the pump you will hear a very distinctive sound.

Note: Running the pump with the ?T? fitting open is a messy proposition. Coolant will indeed bubble out so have some shop rags handy.

You are just going to have to cycle the pump on and off like this till you work all the air out.

Scott was kind enough to send me a picture of an overflow tank he installed to eliminate this problem.

Here it is.

Basically the coolant flows into the over flow tank, and then is sucked out the bottom by the pump.

Any air in the coolant remains in the overflow tank. Nice set up. If I ever find I have a problem with air in the system, I certainly will investigate doing this the same as Scott has.

For now all is fine, it was painfully slow but I believe I managed to get it all out.

Install the Serpentine Belt

Follow the factory routing diagram under your hood. When the belt gets to the power steering pump it is routed over the blower pulley and then under the additional idler pulley.

Don?t worry if that isn?t clear, the instruction come with an illustration for the Model Year of your TJ. I do believe there are at least 3 different belt routing based on year.

Step 14 is done, only a few more little ones and you get to fire it up.

Frank