View Single Post
Old 04-10-2004, 05:39 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Frank, will this work for a 1999 or newer vehicle and would you recommend it for someone trying to track down what apparently is a non problem other than poor performance?

I have a situation with kendra's XJ in that it has no stored codes, nor activates the CEL but lets just say, it certainly doesn't run like the 4.0 in my TJ. I was thinking that a flash would allow the computer to re-learn and adapt to mine and kendra's driving style.
Thanx.
Hi Robert,

My Apologies I did not see your question until just now.

Old age setting in.

I think re-flashing the PCM in Kendra Jeep is certainly worth a shot. I do believe the fast learn procedure will work on it.

When I did this the first time I had a very noticeable drop in performance. It seemed sluggish until I managed to get a few warm up cool down cycles on it. Then performance improved. In my case as in back to normal.

I have received over a dozen PM's from folks who have had various engine performance issue with no codes, such as sluggish. Most have said they notice an improvement after they did the flash/learn mode procedure. Maybe this was perception on there parts, maybe not I don't really know.

Give it a shot.

Before you do I'd suggest cleaning the coolant and Intake Air Temp Sensors on Kendra's Jeep. Both of these can and do have a major effect (like other things) on how the Jeep runs.

Pull the Coolant Temperature Sensor. It is located in the thermostat housing and clean it. You will probably find a small scale buildup on it. Remove it with some rubbing compound. This scale will insulate the sensor and cause it to send signals to the PCM that the engine is cooler then it really is. I have seen this cleaning alone solve more then a few "pinging" problems.

Also pull the Air Temperature Sensor from the top/rear of the intake manifold. When you get it out you will see a white cage like housing. Inside the housing is a thermostat. In all likelihood it will be covered with carbon.

Do not take this sensor apart. Rather run down to radio Shack or Ace Hardware and pick up a spray can of "Electric Motor Cleaner". Please do not use anything else, you could damage the sensor.

Spray it till it is clean.

Also, have you ever taken the engine above 3,500 RPM?

Now might be a good time. At 3500 RPM the intake and exhaust valves begin to rotate. The 4.0 engine is designed to do this to help shed carbon build up. I wouldn't be afraid to do this, 3500 isn't high at all for this engine.

Let me know if any of this makes any difference for Kendra.

Frank