View Single Post
Old 04-11-2004, 08:05 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Step 16 ? Install the Throttle Body:

Disconnect the battery if you haven?t already.

Grind the Casting Tab

Before you can install the Throttle Body on the Blower Intake Air Horn you need to grind down a small square aluminum casting tab on the base of the Throttle Body so that it is flat with the base.

Using Duck Tape, cover the top and bottom of the Throttle body. While you are at it cover up all the sensor too. No need to get a metal shaving someplace it doesn?t belong.

Put a shop towel around the Throttle Body and ?LIGHTLY? clamp it in a vise, bottom side up.

Start grinding.

Please note this is aluminum and it will grind off really fast.

I am sorry but I do not have any pictures of this either before or after grinding. They are simply unintelligible.

While my Throttle Body was very clean on the inside, I found I could not bring myself to mount its oxidized body on the pretty new blower the way it looked. And being I already had it all taped up and protected, I decided to put it in the bead blasting cabinet for a quick go around.

Nice! Now it looks pretty too!

Remove all the duck tape from the Throttle Body.

Double-check everything for dirt or metal filings. Use compressed air to blow everything out.

Find the package that contains the rubber vacuum plugs. If you haven?t already done so, plug the vacuum port on the side of the Throttle body where the MAP sensor used to live.

Mount the Throttle Body

The instructions tell you to use a thin film of sensor save silicon sealant between the Throttle Body and the Blower intake air horn.

I didn?t like this folks. So I ran out to NAPA and picked up another Throttle Body Gasket. This was the one and only time I had to run to the store for anything I felt was needed to complete this installation that did not come with the kit. And in truth it was my choice.

I would think it wouldn?t be a big deal to include a Throttle Body gasket in the kit. But like I said, it wasn?t a big deal to go get either. (Hint Hint Jack!)

Bolt the Throttle Body (with gasket or sealant) to the Blower Air Intake Horn using the four 5mm Allen Cap blots provided.

Torque these down to 108 in/lbs.

Mount the Jeep?s original Throttle Cable Bracket to the Blower side bracket using two 5 mm Allen Cap bolts.

Attach the Throttle Cable to the Throttle Body and attach the Throttle Return Spring.

Here a picture.

See that pretty 84K mile Throttle Body?!

Also note, the second cable you see going to the Throttle Body via the Bracket is for the hand throttle I have installed.

This task is complete, on to the next. We are almost done.

Frank