View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 09:07 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Step 18 ? Install the Vacuum Lines:

This Super Charger kit comes with a rather large assortment of Vacuum hoses, fittings and T fittings, more then enough to plumb your entire vacuum system.

Attach the Vacuum Brake Booster hose to the 90-degree brass fitting on the back of the Blower. This is the only vacuum line that should be attached to this fitting.

If you haven?t already done so, attach the vacuum hose from the MAP Sensor to the port on the side of the intake manifold. This is the only vacuum device that should be connected here.

All other vacuum devices need to be connected to the straight Brass Hose Barb fitting on the back of the blower. This Includes the rear valve cover breather, evaporative canister, and any heat control vacuum hoses your Jeep may have.

Use the adaptors fitting, T?s and hoses.

Here is a picture in which I think you can see some of the vacuum hoses and t-fitting I used.

Step 19 ? Modify Filtered Air System:

The kit comes with a flexible hose that you will need to employ to connect the Throttle Body to the Air Filter System you are going to use.

I used my relocated stock air box as it is attached to my Snorkel.

How you go about doing this really will depend on your Jeep. The fact that the Throttle Body is located in a completely new position in the engine compartments means you will have to work your filtered air system to one degree or another, using the flex hose to connect the two.

You will also need to tie the Blower Nose vent into the Front Crank Case Breather hose, which connect the valve cover to the air intake system

To do this the kit comes with the required hoses and a T fitting that is ?-inch x ?-inch x 3/8-inches.

Here is what my installation looks like. I think you can see clearly the flex hose as I used it and the Blower Vent hose plumed into the crank case breather with the ?T?.

This is the end of all mechanical installation tasks. There are only a few more things to do. Flash the PCM into fast learn mode, double check your work and fire it up!

Step 20 ? Last Step - Put PCM in Flash Mode:

PCM Fast Learn Mode

The Jeep?s PCM performs several functions controlling Air Fuel ratios via Injector Bandwidth and Ignition Timing.

These ?outputs? are controlled using the ?inputs? received from all the sensors and then comparing these reading against a set of data tables burned into the PCM.

These ?memory tables? are the brains that keep the engine running at low emissions and peak economy across the RPM band during closed loop mode.

These memory tables can and do change. They are ?adaptive?, based on sensor readings, driving habits, engine performance and sensor tolerances.

Over time, the PCM Memory Tables become tuned to your engine.

This procedure first came to me from the folks at Avenger. I then verified it with a phone call to a Chrysler Engineer who had called me a year or so ago to ask about my experiences with a certain part on my TJ. I figured he owned me a favor. He had to check up on this for me. He called me back a week later and did indeed verify this procedure and what it does.

To the best of my knowledge it isn?t documented in any of the FSM.

Forced Flash

This very simple procedure will Erase the ?Adaptive Memory? stored inside the TJ PCM and allow a new ?Adaptive Memory? to be developed.

After performing this procedure the PCM will re-learn and store into Adaptive Memory your engines performance characteristics.

Please perform these steps exactly as they are written, in the order they are written. This will cause the adaptive memory in the PCM to be erased and cause the PCM to go into Fast Learn Mode adaptive mode.

• Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal and touch it to ground for 30 seconds. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory.
    Reconnect the Battery Cable
    Turn Ignition Switch to the ?On? position but DO NOT start the engine
    Turn Headlight ?On?
    Turn Headlights ?Off?
    Turn Ignition Key ?Off?

The PCM Adaptive memory has now been flashed, or erased from the PCM.

When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory.

When you get the engine up to operating temperature the PCM will start to collect data for the ?Adaptive Memory?.

The PCM will collect data for Adaptive Memory for the first 50 Warm-up Cycles.

Warm-up Cycle

A warm-up cycle happens when all of the following conditions exist.

Engine is running
A raise of 40F in engine temperature must occur ABOVE the engine temperature at start-up
Engine Coolant Temp must reach at least 160 F.

Once your engine has gone through 50 warm-up cycles in at least a 500-mile distance the PCM adaptive memory is set. It WILL NOT Change unless you flash it out and start all over again.

This procedure is vitally important for this installation as the install includes much larger fuel injectors and a lot more air being forced into the engine.

However I believe a lot of folks may find it useful on their won Jeeps.

Double Check Everything

Check the hoses, fuel lines, coolant level, engine oil, all bolts, and belt tension, ECT?

When you are done,

Start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes, then take it for a ride.

Power should progressively improve as you go through the a higher number of warm up cycles.

DONE! FINALLY!!!

Sorry it has taken me so long.

Frank