Thread: TJ V-8 Swap
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRockrawler View Post
Hey Lawrence: Thanks for all the info!! I was hoping for fuel injection but as I said before the cost just seemed to keep going up. For example, the adapters for the electronics alone from Advanced Adapters to convert my Atlas 5.0 that is currently behind my AW-4 were around $800. (New reluctor etc.) That was when I got to thinking of a carburated direction to go. As I still do a fair amount of rockrawling I am concerned about the carb working out on a steep climb hence the Q-Jet I found in the magazine article. However, I just sourced the Q-Jet at Summitt and it goes for $750.!!!

As to sourcing a 5.7 Vortec I'm finding them with 90K to 120K in the $600-$800 range. I have looked at quite a few and always found cut wires in the harness(from being removed too quickly from the donor) to rust on the plugs (indicating blown head gasket or worse). I would like to retain the serpentine belt drive sustem but many have worn or missing parts. A new serpentine system from Summit can be had for around $700 including all the accessories. But this of course now puts a USED Engine in at around $1400-$1500 without a computer and wiring harness. I was told by a couple of tranny shops that the 4-L60 is good for around 100K at best. But to re-build it runs around $1200-$1400. with warranty. I can buy a rebuilt non-computer 700R-4 for $695. with warranty.

So if I bought a used computer for around $100. and shipped it to Jesse Bubb as you suggested and paid him around the $350 you mention and then buy a Painless harness for around $700 I would be out around $450 more to have fuel injection + the $800 to Advanced Adapters.

All-in-all I now agree with you that it does make more sense to go with fuel-injection. It's just that there probably will be a lot more little things that pop up by going with FI such as a higher pressure fuel pump etc.

I had not thought about going with the Hemi & 545RFE you mention but just looked at Craig's list and found 2. one was from a 2003 Ram with 74K with the AT & T-Case asking $3500. The other was from a Durango with the AT & claiming 34K but not sure of 2wd or 4wd but asking $2800.

I'm a little nervous about spending this amount and not knowing for sure of the condition of the engine and tranny. I forgot to mention earlier that all the engines I have been finding are out of the vehicle so you cannot hear them run or verify the mileage.

Do you know of anyone that guarantees the condition or lets you hear it run and check it out before it's pulled?

I'd probably rather stick with Chevy since thats pretty much all I've been around unless an exceptional deal came up for the HEMI combo.

Thanks again for all your help.
Bob

For the Atlas, Part's Mike has a setup for the Atlas to add in the electronics. I have a 4speed Atlas here that was built without a speedo drive, AA wanted $800 to add it back in, we are adding in a Part's Mike ring on our 1350 flange for the tune of around $160

There are cheap ways to do the swaps. We did a Vortech in my dad's scrambler. We got the whole enchilada out of a wrecked 1 ton truck for $1500! Engine, Tranny, computer, cat converters, sensors, lines, etc. Then we bought a harness, a tranny adapter, misc parts and only brought the parts total to about $3500.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350