View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 AM

Someone Is Twisting My Arm

Regarding this weld trailer I've been working on for months.

It's coming along rather well if I do say so myself.

The welder is mounted as are the storage boxes. I've also finished a 4 bottle storage rack, but the actual bottle holders need to have the nylon straps shortened about 2 feet. We have a hot knife at work for exactly this, so I'm gonna try and finish that this week.

I was rather unhappy regarding the noise levels this thing produced, so I modified the exhaust to quiet it down another 5 or so decibels. It worked, but given the OVERALL noise reduction, it was money wasted. A large portion of the noise was "generator/engine block" noise, not just exhaust. So now that the exhaust is quiet, the generator/engine block is really loud. Bottom line is this.....you can't quiet down a 3600 RPM aluminum blocked twin cylinder/generator to 1800 RPM cast steel blocked diesel levels. Lesson learned.

One big hangup has been the fenders. After looking for what seemed forever, I designed and built my own. Looking at the dimensions, I can see why I looked in vain. 40" long overall, 11" wide. Material was .150 or .160 steel diamond plate. These things are rock solid, and will easily hold up as a step or whatever.

They're not 100% finished, I need to smooth the outside welds on one, and drill the mounting holes. Then I can mount them to the trailer and paint them. I may bed-line them as well for chip resistance.....

Don't worry that it's off center. I just temporarily clamped it there to get an impression before I went ahead and built the second fender.

By the end of this month I should have the compressor bought and mounted. I'm going with the Kohler powered IR.
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?