View Single Post
Old 03-28-2004, 06:13 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Originally posted by NAILER341
that is a cool mod! looks like it costs a pretty penny. with that type of supercharger, do they recomend you use it on a lower milage engine?
Hi Erik,

I am not at all sure mileage has a lot to do with it as much as engine condition. They recommend engine condition as follows

1.Good Compression and Leak Down Testing
2. Fuel Pressure between 44.5 and 54.5 PSI
3. Ignition system tune-up

My compression and leak down testing came in at the top end of FSM Specs; all within 98% of the "top range". I was quit pleased with that.

Fuel Pressure is a steady 49 PSI right on the spec, +/- 0.5 PSI

Ignition system on the 97 4.0L is a distributor, Cap, Rotor and wires so I replaced each.

I also reverse flushed my cooling system and installed a new stock 195 F thermostat and all hoses, just to make sure all was in good working order.

I also re-installed the stock fan clutch. I go back and forth between it and a flex-a-lite electric unit as I test different things. I wanted this to be as close to stock as possible as I figured that would present the truest picture of any performance increases to most folks. I can always go back to the electric in the future.

I debated if I should replace the two oxygen sensors and eventually I did. I figured at 83K Plus miles it wouldn't hurt. Besides I wanted to make sure I could get the most accurate mVolt readings from the lead sensor to calculate and tune the Air/Fuel Ratios in the future if I find that is needed.

I dislike doing two things "changes" at the same time. Seems to me all that does is to present one layer of complexity on top of another.

Therefore I did all the checking and tuning up 500 miles prior to the start of this project. I wanted to make sure that what I started with before the Super Charger installation was working correctly. Then if I had a problem afterwards the odds are it would be with the Super Charger itself.

After making all these changes to the stock engine I forced the PCM into "Fast Learn Mode". This is a Chrysler procedure that is little known to most folks as they do not publish it.

Give me a few minutes and I will post info on how to do this.

Frank