View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 05:00 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Good morning folks, I think I finally have some time to be able to document the actual installation steps. I will document this as Numbered Steps, 1 through the end, as I did this installation.

I have these steps farther categorized into three main chapters so to speak.
  • Preliminary Tasks
    Pre-Down Time Tasks
    Down Time Tasks

Please Note: I am writing these instructions based on my installation experience on a 97 TJ 4.0L engine and the instructions, which came from Avenger. There are and may be more minor differences between the model years. When I know what these differences are I will includes that information. But please know I do not know everything.

Preliminary Work

The work steps listed in this section are those which you really do need to do first, either before you order your Super Charger or while waiting for it to arrive.

While these few steps may seem boring, they are actually vital in importance.

Please don?t skip them. I believe you are asking for trouble if you do.

Step 1 ? Premium Fuel:
Run your gas tank fuel level all the way down toward empty and then fill the tank with Premium (92 Octane) gas. (High Test if you?re an old guy like me.)

Ouch!!!! But get used to it. Your Jeep will require a stead diet of it from now on.

Step 2 ? Pressure Testing:

You really need to validate the mechanical condition of your engine by performing Compression and Leak Down testing of the cylinders and Pressure Testing of your Fuel System.

You will have to consult your Factory Service manual for the procedure for Compression and Leak Down Testing as the specs vary slightly from year to year.

If you do not have one, barrow a fuel pressure gauge and connect it up to the fuel nipple towards the front of the fuel rail.

Here is a picture showing a fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail.

Start your engine and make sure that the fuel pressure stays between 44.2 and 54.2 psi while you rapidly accelerate the throttle by hand.

If the pressure falls below 44.2 psi you need to resolve this issue; probably with a new fuel pump.

Step 3 ? Tune Up:

While you have the plugs out for the compression and leak down testing you are all set to pop in a new set of plugs. I use either the Champion Truck Plug 4412 or the AutoLite NASCAR Plug 985.

If your engine has a distributor as mine does, I would replace the cap and rotor as well.

Also , if you have 40K or more miles on the spark plug wires I would replace them too. Stock replacements work great. I prefer Jacobs?s custom fit wires myself.

I would strongly advice you to replace your ignition wires if you have more then 40K miles on them

If you have more then 30K miles on your engine and you have never cleaned the throttle body I would advise you remove it and clean it well. The underside of the throttle plate, as well as the Idle Air Manifold will be full of carbon. Better to bench clean it now and put it back on and make sure it works perfectly before you begin the Super Charger installation. There is no value in doing both at the same time as this would lay one layer of complexity on top of another.

If you plan to flush (or reverse flush, as I did) your cooling system you might want to wait till you need to install the intercooler radiator that comes with the Avenger kit. This will save you a lot of duplicate work.

Just add this task to your list of ?to do?s? when you get to that point in these instructions. (Don?t worry I will add it there for you!)

Step 4 ? Body Lift:

If you do not already have a 1-inch body lift on your TJ now is a good time to install one.

An alternative to the body lift is to either cut your hood or somehow install some type of ?power bump? in the hood where the blower drive pulley will stick through it.

I would not cut this hole at this time if that is the way you decide to go. I?d wait on that till the blower is on the engine.

I?d do the Body Lift and leave the hood alone.

However, if you don?t like that and want to see where the Super Charger pulley will come through the hood here is a picture.

I marked the spot with a piece of yellow electrical tape.

Again, if you want to cut your hood to clearance the Super Charger I WOULD NOT do this now. I would wait till it was bolted on the engine.

This step is to get the 1-inch Body lift installed or get you thinking about that hood situation and how you are going to handle it.

++++++++++++++++
This is the end of the Preliminary work. Your Jeep should be running perfectly on Premium Fuel and have the body lifted 1-inch for hood clearance at this time

Next will be instruction on how to do the Pre-Down time tasks.

Frank