View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 09:09 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Pre-Down Time Work

Here are the tasks that I have found can be done piece meal in the evenings that will enable you to still be able to drive your Jeep in between each task. In other words, do one each night during the week and still have the Jeep available to drive to work the next day.

This will greatly limit the down time when your Jeep will not be drivable at all. More then 50% of the install can be done this way if you prefer.

Step 5 ? Lengthen the IAT Sensor Wiring Harness:

The wiring harness going to the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor must be lengthened by 14-inchs. This is required so that the plug can reach the IAT sensor in its new location, under the Intercooler once the blower is installed.

You will need one piece of Red wire, 18 inches long, 18 or 20 gauge, and a second wire, same length, but Black in color.

You also need a soldering iron, some solder and some heat shrink wire insulation.

Disconnect your battery.

Disconnect Plug ?A? from your PCM. This is a precaution. You will be soldering wires on the IAT wiring harness. The other end of these wires connects to plug ?A? at the PCM. By disconnecting this plug you eliminate all risk to the PCM before you start.

Here is a picture of Plug ?A? location. It is the plug closest to the outside on the passenger side of the Jeep on the PCM. (Sorry about the picture quality. Guess I moved.)

Find the IAT sensor and disconnect the wiring plug from the sensor.

This sensor is located on the top of the intake manifold toward the rear of the manifold. There is a two-wire plug attached to it. It will be the only wired device directly attached to the intake manifold. (read that, the picture I took to show its location really sucks and I don?t want to embarrass myself with it!)

You unplugged it, right? Good!

Now cut the two wires about 3-inches from the plug.

With a wire stripper remove about ?-inch from the ends of all four wires. (The two attached to the plug, and the two attached to the harness.)

Cut a strip of Red wire from your shops supply to 14-inchs and strip both ends.

Place two 1.5-inch pieces of Heat Shrink-wrap on the Red wire toward the middle.

Connect one end of the Red wire to the wire on the plug with the Red Trace Line on it.

Connect the other end of the Red wire to the harness wire with the Red Trace Line on it.

Solder both of these connections and then slide the heat shrink-wrap over the joints. Heat the heat shrink insulation with a hair dryer (or a lighter in a pinch) to tighten it up.

Take your shop supplied Black wire and solder it in place on the remaining wire between the plug and the harness.

++++++++++++
WARNING: Do not cheat here. Solder these wires. Do NOT use butt connectors or crimp on connectors. If you do you run the risk of introducing unwanted resistance to the IAT signal. This can and probably will give you fits later.
++++++++++++

Once you shrink the heat shrink insulation around the joints, wrap the wiring extension with electrical tape. Do it right and make it look factory!

Plug the newly extended IAT Plug into the sensor.

Here is a poor picture of what it should look something like.

Plug the PCM Connector ?A? back in.

Reconnect the Battery and start the Jeep.

Take it for a test-drive and verify everything appear to be working fine.

See! Just 30 minutes before dinner and you have ? of all the electrical work needed for this installation done already. Your good! Now go eat dinner. (You might want to cook it first!)

You can drive your Jeep to work in the morning if you want too!

Frank