View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 10:11 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Step 6 ? Mount and Wire the Intercooler Pump:

+++++++++
Comment: In my experience tasks related to installing the Intercooler components for this project took more then half the time and half my efforts.

If you break these work efforts down into manageable units of work I believe you can decrease your Jeeps down time dramatically.

+++++++++

Here is a picture of the Intercooler pump and mounting bracket.

The inlet port is on the nose of the pump, and the exhaust port is on the side. There are two wires to the pump, one Red and one Back.

The pump slides into the clamp-type mounting bracket and the bracket bolts to your Jeep.

You are going to have to figure out where to mount the pump given a set of rules you need to follow.

The pump head must be located at the lowest point of the intercooler system. That translates into ?No Higher then 1 inch above the top of the Jeeps intake manifold.?

The pump can be mounted Vertically or Horizontally.

However it you mount it Horizontally the exhaust port must be position so that it falls anywhere between the 12 O?clock and 3 o?clock positions. If you don?t follow this rule you run the risk of having air cavitate in the pump housing. (read this as not a good thing to let happen to you!)

Avenger recommends you mount the pump on the ABS tray behind the driver-side wheel well, or on the driver-side inner fender.

I had no chance of mounting my pump there as that real estate was already completely filled up.

I found a location on the firewall to mount my pump vertically with the pump head pointing down in a position that would insure the lowest point on the intercooler system.

Here is a picture.

Notice how nicely the exhaust port is pointing over to the intake manifold? That?s where the intercooler intake port will be located when you install the blower on the manifold.

The pump slides in the bracket and the bracket is bolted to the Jeep. I didn?t like the idea of just bolting this in place because of potential vibration problems through the sheet metal..

I did a quick trip over to Ace Hardware and came back with two Expandable Rubber Nutcerts and Bolts to use as the mounting hardware for the pump and bracket.

This worked out great to physically insolate the pump from the Jeep?s sheet metal. I can barely here that the pump is on. The rubber Nutcerts act like little vibration shock absorbers. I?m happy! (Which always makes for a good day!)

So pick your poison as to where you want to mount the pump and be sure to follow the mounting rules. If you want to eliminate any chance of vibration through the sheet metal go spend $0.38 at Ace and use the rubber expandable Nutcerts to mount the pump and bracket.

Now you have to wire the pump up!

The red wire needs to be connected to an Ignition Switched Power source. In other words, +12 that turns on when the key is on, and off when the key is off.

I used the cigarette lighter circuit inside the Jeep.

I also elected to install a 5 amp mini fuse and weatherproof fuse holder about 6-inches from the pump. This was immensely helpful later on when I had to purge the intercooler system of air. Plus it gives me a dedicated fuse to protect the pump circuit.

The black wire needs to go to a good ground. I used the grounding bolt on the firewall, which attaches the already existing ground strap to your Jeeps hood.

If you are installing the pump now without the rest of the supercharger system DO NOT connect the Red wire to the power circuit yet. You don?t want the pump running dry tomorrow morning on your drive to work. Just get the wire in place and you will connect it up later on during the installation process.

If you install a fuse like I did, simply remove the fuse and your safe to drive to work!

At this point you have completed 100% of all electrical work involved in the installation of the Super Charger.

And..... You can still drive it to work in the morning!

Frank