View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 03:28 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Down Time Tasks

Folks, here is my attempt to provide some detailed instructions for the remainder of the Avenger Super Charger installation. These remaining steps all involve the Jeep being down and out of service until the project is complete.

Step 9 ? Prepare the Intake Manifold:

See all those hoses and other ?stuff? on the top of the intake manifold?

Oh wait, here?s a picture;

It all has to come off.

Here?s a list of what I did in the order I did it.

Disconnect the battery.

Remove the air tube from the Throttle Body.

Disconnect the Throttle Cable from the Throttle Body. (it is a plastic clip that slides off)

Take the three 10 mm bolts out of the three legs of the Throttle Cable Bracket and move the cable and bracket off the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Disconnect the Throttle Positioning, Idle Air Motor and MAP sensor plugs from the Throttle Body.

Disconnect the plug going to the Intake Air Temperature Sensor. (this is the one you lengthened by 14-inches in an earlier step.

Slide the wiring harness out of the way to the passenger side of the engine.

Remove the four bolts holding the Throttle Body to the intake Manifold. Be sure to save the gasket you will be using it later. Put Throttle Body and Gasket in a clean location of your shop.

Cover the Throttle Body Opening on the intake Manifold with Duck Tape to prevent dropping anything in there.

Remove all the vacuum hoses and fittings from the top and sides of the intake manifold.

Please Note: On early model TJ like mine, all the vacuum ports are threaded into the intake manifold. On late model TJ some are threaded and some are pressed in. Here is a barrowed picture from the Avenger site showing what a late model manifold looks like with both types of vacuum fittings.

Obviously those that are screwed in come out with a wench. Those that are pressed in should come out with pliers.

Also remove the Intake Air Temperature Sensor and set it aside with the Throttle Body. You will need to re-install it in the bottom of the Intercooler before you install the blower.

Use the supplied NPT thread plugs, a ?-inch Allen wrench and some gray or clear sensor safe RTV plug each threaded vacuum hole in the intake manifold, ACCEPT for the one on the side of the intake manifold. This vacuum port on the side of the manifold will be used later to plumb to the MAP sensor.

Use the supplied ?Mini freeze plugs? to close off those holes in the intake manifold that had pressed in fittings. Use a bit of RTV here too, to insure an airtight seal.

On late model manifolds there is a casting nipple that must be ground off. Being mine isn?t late model I didn?t have to do this, but if you look at the picture above you can see the nipple that must come off to ?clearance? the intercooler once it is bolted on.

The intake manifold is now readied for the blower a bit later on.

Next step is dealing with the larger fuel injectors.

Frank