View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 04:24 PM

It would sure be nice if the truth could be reported accurately.
I was on the drill team, and support team of the Greenland ice core drilling project for two years-working out of the University of Alaska. First, the project ran for five years, Mar 88 to Aug 93.
The least they could do is get the years right. Agreed, they have been studying the ice cores since then. Dye 3 site is an abandoned US Air Force early warning radar site, part of the DEW system. It is 230 miles from where we drilled the ice cores. Duh!
We did have a 2 man site, (spent many cold arsed nights there in a tent for relief duty) groomed airstrip at Dye 3 for the 109th Air Guard from NY to practice landings and take offs. They are the ski equipped C-130's that hauled all the gear to the drill site. The ice cores taken at the bottom/bedrock level came up perfectly. Yes, everything thing in them was crushed/condensed from the pressure but not ruined. We also took bedrock samples of cores.
That ice is so compressed that when you take a cube and toss it in a glass of tea-it explodes.
Surprised that they did not mention we also provided all the equipment and some crew that pulled up the 5, WWII P-38 planes from under 50 years of ice. I personally disarmed the 50 cal guns on the planes as I was the only one trained in them.

Amazing how the media can screw up the facts of a story.