View Single Post
Old 09-11-2002, 08:43 PM

Gorgeous photos, thanks for posting them and this great thread.

I've backpacked that area and did the Edson Lake thing up to Hart Lakes and around the area... mostly cross-country, not too much in the way of hiking the trails. It's spectacular scenery and the sky is so blue that high up (we got well above the treeline as you certainly will) that it looks dark blue, almost purple at times. It took us two days to get to Edson Lake but the afternoon we thought we were there, we stopped about a mile short in a swampy area that we figured had to be Edson Lake. We thought the lake had probably just dried up due to the lack of rain several previous years so we spent the night in the swampy area fighting off hordes of hungry mosquitos. Fifteen more minutes of hiking the next morning brought us to the real Edson Lake, what a gorgeous off-the-beaten-path high-Sierras lake. The Lake was so full of natural trout that we easily caught our breakfast of pan-sized trout by casting just about anything we had for bait out onto the lake.

We later hiked over to the Hart Lakes (is one of your above photos showing the Hart Lakes?) where my friend caught a gorgeous 7 or 8 lb. trout. Of course that night, some animal made off with it from where it was hanging 15' up in the trees with about a dozen other nice (!!) trout we caught.

You're sure on a nice jaunt, wish I was up there myself!