View Single Post
Old 09-14-2002, 12:42 PM

Re: Hey Daniel Boone

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason L Williams
Alex,
I'm in awe. A world without concrete. Who would've thought? Fantastic pics. Sounds as if you're having the time of your life. Thanks for sharing. With all that running around in Yosemite, have you run into any bears that were hungry and wanted to test taste Alex?

Jason
No, the bears aren't actually interested in people, just people food. I'm really glad because they require that backpackers carry all of their food and any other scented toiletries such as toothpaste in a 3 pound, plasic "bear proof food cannister". That thing took up the entire main compartment of my pack- that explains why there is so much stuff strapped on to the outside. The bears know that they can't get into the cannister so you just leave it outside your tent at a respectable distance and the bears ignore it.

I ended up carrying most of my food in a duffle bag that I took inside my tent and wrapped inside a stinky cotton t-shirt each night. I didn't get all of my food and garbage to fit inside the bear cannister until the very last night of the trip, so yes, I was very glad that the bears don't like poeple.