Thread: Lessons learned
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2002, 04:13 AM

I too have suffered the DW plague. After installing a small 3" suspension lift, I was attacked by DW. In my case it turned out to be the tires. BFG-ATs that had been badly abused for 50K miles or so. I was running Ultra Alloy wheels at the time. I figured that since there is not a lip on the outside of these wheels, they could not be dynamically balanced and threrefore was most likely my problem. I have looked and many many pictures of folks running alloy wheels and have not seen very many with wheel weights on the outside. I had to try it anyway. I went back to the factory wheels, had them all balanced, and tread very carefully (no sharp turns or obstical climbing). Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. Finally, after parking my Jeep for a time, I bought new (cheap steel wheels) and new tires. DW is gone for now. It was the flat-spotted, out of round tires.

There is nothing like being half way home, going through Oklahoma City at 70 mph, and having a sudden attack of DW. I know what the folks around me thought when I hit the brakes and pulled off. Dumb ass Texan. Well, one has to stop when attacked with the dreaded DW.

I would like to hear some comments on not being able to balance, and in some cases not being able to do an alignment on wheels with no lip on the outside. My favorite alignment shop does not have the ability to do them. (Or will not)

William, I am glad it all worked out for you.

Blaine, I am glad you got your confidence back.

Buz