Thread: Lessons learned
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2002, 09:11 AM

Ignorant tire guys are plentifull in the industry. I don't know what they pay those guys, but most of them don't know squat.
I do most of my buisiness with Discount Tires and they are no better or worse than the others. When I got back from Moab I had a wobble and the first thing I did was take the Jeep to Discount to have a free balance. I was particularly concerned with my new cheap steel rims that had all taken hits in Moab.
At Discount I asked for the best guy they have and I wanted to talk to him before he did the work. I aked the guy (Donny) if he could do three things for me:
1. Take the time to rotate the tire on the rim to try and use as little weight as possible. A trick here is to use some chalk to mark the rim/tire and see if it is in the same place when done.
2. To use the inside sticky weights as the outside ones don't have a prayer. BTW, if I had previously had inside weights, I take the time to remove them and clean inside the rims. I have had guys just ignore the existing weights and add some to the other side!
3. Check for bent rims.
I then tip the guy $10 for taking the extra time. $10 isn't much but it is usually effective and it gets you recognized as the "demanding jerk that tips". Just tipping is not enough. You have to expain what you want every time (been there).
Two wheels were a little bent but the guy said they wouldn't effect me. I found my toe in was a bit "out" after changing a tie rod on the trail and useing my zerk to zerk measurement for adjustment.
All is now well until the next time!
I know it sounds like a PIA but I am particular about my tires and wheels not being in the picture when front end problems arise, as they usually do.