Thread: Lessons learned
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2002, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
I couldn't believe something so simple as tires would cause the problems...

.....and no one on the JU technical grounds ever mentions how important it is.

William, that is just not true. Blaine and I and a zillion others usually mention it within the first 5 post as the first thing to check. I think several months ago I suggested you trade wheels with a friend to make "sure"........
You need to tell the moron that is balancing your tires that a check for bent rims is part of the balancing process.
Ron
Typically Ron, that advice comes from a select few (aka those who know what they are talking about.. like you.. and Blaine.. and a few others)... I can give a history of it. I do remember you saying to try someone else's tires. But after getting a balance.. I think that I was giving up on that.

History:

In September, I did a 1 inch body lift, 1 inch motor mount lift, and replaced my lower control arms with new ones. I got death wobble immediately. I actually broke a stock control arm - no easy feat. But after several tries, I got the balance done (I was very reluctant). Nothing happened. Blaine took a look at it and found an extremely worn bushing on the stock front track bar. So that was replaced. Still death wobble. At one point, Blaine took me to his recommended shop and they balanced the tires and it limited the wobble, but didn't elminate it. Then the steering box was replaced... And then another alignment.. Still nothing. I replaced the front axle (yes, the axle) thinking may be the knuckles were bad. Had the alignment done (twice). Still nothing. We put an RE trackbar in it that was double hieme'd. Still not elminated. At this point, I was ready to throw in the towel.

So, by my counting, that is
3 balances
2 trackbars
3 steering boxes
2 alignments

And nothing. I had watched the last balanced and made sure they did a dynamic balance, and that after they balanced them we made sure it balanced to zero. Nothing.

But I've got a new moron to balance tires. It's kind of sad when William has to explain to Tireguy what a dynamic balance is.