View Single Post
Old 06-07-2002, 08:02 AM
Banned

In the snow I don't see much difference between auto-lockers and my TTs. I haven't seen too much of the low-side finding of lockers either though, so the plusses and minuses of lockers versus limited slips in snow seem to be a wash in my opinion. I prefer the gear based limited slip, rather than the clutches though. In my opinion, the gear-based limited slips catch/grab more smoothly.

I've got a couple of friends that use a "lincoln" locker (welded) and it doesn't seem to be any better than a Detroit or TT in the snow, and actually seems to be a true low-side finder.

If I were doing it, I think I would buy a strong auto-locker (Detroit) if my main concern was snow/off camber. Else, I'd buy a spool (my Jeep isn't a daily driver, so YMMV). Also, I was told the TT was one of, if not the strongest LSDs because it's gear based. I don't know about the Powerloc, but if it's a clutch based LSD I'd have to wonder if it's rated for the size tires you're running and how it would wear over time with large tires.